When we rest in the Lord
Don’t Sweat It, Rest!
18Then she said, “Sit still, my daughter, until you know how the matter will turn out; for the man will not rest until he has concluded the matter this day.”
God does not want you to “sweat”. Sweat here does not refer to your body’s perspiration, but your self-reliance or self-effort. God does not want you to believe that if you don’t do anything, nothing will happen. That may be true for someone without God in his life, but it is not true for you because you have God. And when He is in the picture, the God-factor changes everything!
When you are resting in God, He works for you. In fact, when He works, you end up with more. He is the one who is giving to you. It is not about you trying to give to yourself.
This was what happened to Ruth in the Old Testament. After laboring in the barley fields from morning to evening, she was able to glean one ephah of barley (Ruth 2:17), which was equivalent to a 10-day supply of barley. Certainly, this amount was a blessing to her.
But when she rested at the feet of Boaz, her kinsman-redeemer, and did not labor, she received six ephahs of barley (Ruth 3:15), which was equivalent to a 60-day supply! When Ruth sought her own blessing, she obtained only one ephah. But when she sought the blesser, she received much more.
Ruth’s blessings did not stop there. While Ruth rested and sat still as her mother-in-law Naomi had instructed, Boaz, who was the owner of the barley field, went to work, initiating actions, executing them and speaking on Ruth’s behalf. Right through it all, Ruth sat still and rested. Eventually, Boaz, the barley man himself, married Ruth. (Ruth 4) That meant no more measured wealth of six ephahs, but the yield of the whole barley field in total!
Boaz is a picture of Jesus, our heavenly kinsman-redeemer. When we rest in the Lord, He will not rest. He will work on our behalf. What do we do then? We just trust in and enjoy His love for us.
Beloved, stop striving and be at rest. If salvation, the greatest work, comes to us by resting in Jesus’ finished work, how much more will all the other blessings?
May GOD bless Nigeria, America and Israel and take care of us; May GOD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the LORD lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- Gleaning in the Right Field (dailybibleplan.com)
- The Redeemed Christian Church of God, May 2013 Holy Ghost Service. Wonders of His favour (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Redemption (ccalachua.wordpress.com)
- Prayer to overcome addictions (smoking, sex, pornography, alcohol, drugs or gambling) (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Prayer points for marriages (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Boaz: A parable of Jesus (sharperthanatwoedgedsword.wordpress.com)
- Serve like Jesus (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- The Blood Of Jesus Christ (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Trusting God’s Plan (dailybibleplan.com)