READ: James 4:1-10
Put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts. —Ephesians 4:22
A man once asked me, “What is your biggest problem?” I replied, “I see my biggest problem every day in the mirror.” I am referring to those “me first” desires that lurk in my heart.
In James 4:1 we read: “Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members?” The words “desires for pleasure” refer to our self-serving desires. That’s why in James 1:14 we are told: “Each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.” James warns that such “me first” desires will destroy our friendship with God (4:4) and cause divisions, wars, and fights (vv.1-2).
Therefore, we are told to put off “me first” thinking. How do we do this? First, “Submit to God” (4:7). We need to get our ranking right—God is God and His will must always be first. Second, “Draw near to God” (v.8). Deal with those desires that lead to sin by going to God for cleansing. Don’t be double-minded, desiring both evil and good. But rather desire to please God alone. Third, “Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord” (v.10). Then “He will lift you up.”
Remember, “me first” living is not the key to success. Put God first. —Albert Lee
I once was full of self, and proud
Just like a Pharisee,
Until one day, quite by surprise,
I caught a glimpse of me. —Hawthorne
When you forget yourself, you usually start doing something others will remember.
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Faith Produces Humility (loopyloo305.com)
- Abide in Christ Jesus (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- A Double-minded Man (sabinspirations.wordpress.com)
- Think Before You Speak and Before You Act (shareaverse.wordpress.com)
- Who’s A Pharisee? (davidharman.wordpress.com)
- Four Ways to Build a Relationship with the Lord (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- Week 14.1 Jesus Is Lord of the Sabbath pt 1 (dailybiblestudy.com.au)
- Free from the Stronghold of Selfishness (ptl2010.com)
- A Study Through the Bible: James 4:1-6 (hisrib.wordpress.com)
- Our Fruits Will Tell Everything (menofredemption.wordpress.com)
- Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- God’s Teachings on Repentance (pastormusiiwa.wordpress.com)
- God & Suffering Part 1: For the Glory of God (atruediscipleofchrist.wordpress.com)
- Love is not Easily Angered (authentictruthseeker.wordpress.com)