The Slippery Slope Of Success
READ: 1 Samuel 15:10-23
Among the more than 19,000 original epigrams penned by chemist and writer Dr. O. A. Battista is this wise observation: “You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.” Unfortunately, just the opposite often happens when something we have done is praised and rewarded. A humble heart can quickly become a swelled head.
Just before Saul was anointed king, he saw himself as a member of an insignificant family in the smallest tribe of Israel (1 Sam. 9:21). Within a few years, however, he had erected a monument in his own honour and had become the supreme authority for his conduct (15:11-12). The prophet Samuel confronted Saul for his disobedience to God by reminding him, “When you were little in your own eyes, were you not head of the tribes of Israel? And did not the Lord anoint you king over Israel?” (v.17).
Self-importance is the first step down the slippery slope of what we call success. It begins when we claim credit for God-given victories and modify His commands to suit our desires.
True success is staying on God’s path by following His Word and giving Him praise instead of craving it for ourselves. —David McCasland
Help me, O Lord, lest my heart become proud,
For all of my talents by You are endowed;
Nothing I have can I claim as my own—
What mercy and grace in my life You have shown! —D. De Haan
True humility credits God for every success.
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- A Man After God’s Own Heart (pastorderick.com)
- 1 Samuel Chapter 15 (pofw.wordpress.com)
- 1 Samuel 3 – The Lord Calls Samuel (graceofourlord.com)
- Can You Pass The Success Test? – 1 Samuel 13:14 (dianneguthmuller.com)
- 1 Samuel Chapter 16 (pofw.wordpress.com)
- 1 Samuel Chapter 19 (pofw.wordpress.com)
- The Anointing Oil of the Holy Spirit (lancelottuckerblog.com)
- Bible in 365: Day 102 (themoptimist.com)
- Opposition Transitioning from Obscurity to Destiny (youngdisciplesforchrist.wordpress.com)