The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
READ: Luke 12:16-21
It seems to me rather contradictory that Jesus, who was so gentle at times (Matt. 19:13-15), would call some people fools. Yet, as recorded in the Gospels a number of times, our Lord used this derogatory term to describe those He spoke about—especially the Pharisees (see Matt. 23:17-19; Luke 11:39-40).
Jesus also used the word fool in a parable after warning a man about coveting (Luke 12:13-21). What made him foolish is not the fact that he built bigger barns to store his abundant harvest (vv.16-18). It would have been more foolish of him to leave it out in the fields where inclement weather would spoil it. Nor was he foolish because of his thought that this unexpected windfall was enough to last him a long time (v.19). After all, we are urged to follow the example of the ant in “storing up” the harvest (Prov. 6:6-8).
What made the man foolish? He left God out of the picture. He was called a fool because he failed to realize that his life was in God’s hands. While he was planning carefully for his comfortable life on earth, he failed to plan for eternity and store up treasures in heaven (Matt. 6:20).
Does your plan for the future have God in it? You won’t want to be called foolish by Him in the end. —C. P. Hia
Oh, why not turn while yet you may;
Too late, it soon will be—
A glorious life you may possess
Throughout eternity. —Anon.
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. —Jim Elliot
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God.’ (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Healing Is God’s Will (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- The resurrection of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ from the dead changes everything (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Fools for Christ or Just Foolish? (faithcontender.net)
- Sunday, April 15, 2012 @ I Corinthians 15-16 (phyllisbenigas.wordpress.com)
- One solitary life, just a reminder of greatness. (pastormikesays.wordpress.com)