A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
READ: Proverbs 15:1-4
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. —Proverbs 15:1
My car broke down in a tunnel during rush hour in downtown Boston. Angry drivers expressed their frustration as they struggled past me. Eventually, the car was towed to a station for repairs. Later it broke down again, stranding me along the Interstate at 2 a.m. Back to the shop it went.
Unfortunately, the repair shop also doubled as a parking lot during Red Sox baseball games. When I arrived after work the next day to pick up my car, it was hemmed in by 30 other vehicles!
Let’s just say I was less than Christlike in my initial reaction. I ranted and raved, and then, realizing it was only making them less willing to help me at the close of their day, I decided to give up. I stormed toward the glass doors and struggled to get them open. My anger increased when the station workers laughed at me.
I had barely made it out when I realized how unlike Christ I’d been. Chastened, I rapped on the locked doors and mouthed “I’m sorry” to the staff inside. They were stunned! They let me back in, and I meekly told them that Christians shouldn’t behave as I had. Minutes later, they were shifting cars to free up mine. I learned the truth that soft rather than harsh words can change circumstances (Prov. 15:1). —Randy Kilgore
O may I find in anger’s grip
The strength to temper tongue and lip;
But failing that, may God grant me
The courage for apology. —Kilgore
A soft answer has often been the means of breaking a hard heart.
Culled from: www.odb.org.
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- A Proverb for the Day (15:1) (jeremysprouse.wordpress.com)
- On Anger (dawnmarie4.wordpress.com)
- Issues: Anger (pure4thelord.wordpress.com)
- What Kinds of Seeds Are You Planting? (lifecoachsherry.wordpress.com)
- 2 Corinthians 1 – 5 (colesdailywalk.wordpress.com)
- A Proverb for Today – Proverbs 11:4 (mindrenewers.com)
- Does Anger Control You? Part 2 (anoasisathome.com)
- A Proverb for Today – Proverbs 24:19-20 (mindrenewers.com)
- March 16 – My Experience With Anger (lelandfleming.wordpress.com)
- Seven Deadly “Medical” Sins (raymondolivercruz.wordpress.com)
- Do Not Be Abusive (victorychurch2943.wordpress.com)