World’s Longest Table
READ: Matthew 26:26-30
I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom. —Matthew 26:29
On Sunday, July 18, 2010, one of the busiest highways in Europe became what some called “the longest table in the world.” Officials closed a 60-kilometer (37-mile) section of the A40 Autobahn in Germany’s Ruhr region so people could walk and bicycle or sit at one of 20,000 tables set up on the roadway. An estimated 2 million people came to enjoy an event the director hoped would connect people from many cultures, generations, and nations.
This event made me think of an even grander table around which believers gather to share the Lord’s Supper. During communion, we remember Jesus’ death for us as we anticipate the culmination of history at His return.
Just before Jesus was crucified, He shared the Passover meal with His disciples, telling them, “I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom” (Matt. 26:29).
The Lord’s Table unites everyone Christ has redeemed by His blood “out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation” (Rev. 5:9). One day, in a scene of reunion and joy, all who belong to Jesus will sit down together with Him at a table that will dwarf the Autobahn gathering. We joyfully anticipate sharing that table together! —David McCasland
Here we gather to remember,
In the breaking of the bread,
Jesus, who for us was broken,
And is now our living Head. —Anon.
Christ’s love creates unity out of diversity.
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- Right now Jesus is asking for our help (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Day 5 (revelation217.com)
- Give Your Life Away (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Abide in Christ Jesus (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Jesus Last Week Cont – The Passover Meal and The Last Supper (revdavidsbiblestudybiblebootcamp.wordpress.com)
- Christ’s Supreme Sacrifice (godslovevisible.com)
- Jesus’ supreme humility (worryisuseless.wordpress.com)
- Unity (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- What Do You Think About The Cross of Christ? (samuelatgilgal.wordpress.com)
- Dwell Together In Unity! (todaysanewday.wordpress.com)
- Christ’s Love creates unity out of our diversity (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- An End to Racism? (freetoserve.typepad.com)
- World’s Longest Table (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- Divisions Not Allowed In God’s House (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Evensong ~ June 25, 2012 (ronpogue.typepad.com)
- How Hungry Are You? (momsfirstscreenn.wordpress.com)
- Can you forgive like Christ? (sunshinelittleone.wordpress.com)
- 20120518-Prayer Journal (thebloggingpath.wordpress.com)
- Christ’s Love (haroldcameron.wordpress.com)