And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil
VICTORY – A PROVISION
Matthew 6:13, “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory for ever. Amen.”
A temptation can be a difficult situation or a pressure. Contrary to popular belief, God is not the source of our temptation (Jas. 1:13). When we are under pressure, it is important to realize that God is not trying to entrap us. Satan is called the tempter (Mt. 4:3; 1 Th. 3:5). Then why did Jesus instruct us to pray that the Father would not lead us into temptation? This was simply a request for guidance so that we could be delivered from evil.
Jesus himself was tempted by Satan (Mt. 4, Lk. 4). He trusted God fully for provision, protection, and purpose. The Father would no more lead us into temptation than He would withhold our daily bread. But as stated in James 4:2, “Ye have not because ye ask not.” Both “give us our daily bread” and “lead us not into temptation” are simply requests for what has already been provided for us. This part of prayer serves as a reminder to us of God’s promised protection (Ps. 91) and gives us an opportunity to release our faith and appropriate what has already been provided.
“No temptation has seized you but such as is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it” (1 Cor. 10:13 NIV). The victory demonstrated by Jesus is available to us. “But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Cor. 15:57). He has given it to you. Believe and receive it.
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- Beware of the Temptation to Be Your Own God (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Thank You Jesus (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Temptation and Preparation (goldenbible.wordpress.com)
- Salvation begins now (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Acquainted With the Enemies Devices (sabbathsermons.com)
- This Sunday “HELP! How can I overcome Temptation?” (riverrockchurch.com)
- Abide in Christ Jesus (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Jesus’ Temptation & Our Own (alcplatteville.wordpress.com)
- Lenten Reflections 2012: Retreating into the wilderness with Jesus, Day 21 (vinodjohn.wordpress.com)
- Do not take revenge on someone who wrongs you. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, let him slap your left cheek too (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Yield Not to Temptation – Anum Spriggs (beltwaychurch.wordpress.com)
- Jesus’ Temptation & Our Own (pastorreeder.wordpress.com)
- Free from the Stronghold of Hopelessness (ptl2010.com)
- Saturday: March 24 (prayerscapes.wordpress.com)