The Lord searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts.
—1 Chronicles 28:9
READ: Joshua 9:1-16
According to lie-detection experts, “Our natural tendency is to trust people.” However, not everyone is trustworthy all the time. Signs that someone may be lying include fidgeting, lack of eye contact, and noticeable pauses in speaking. Even with these clues, experts warn that it is still quite tough to tell deceivers from honest people.
Joshua needed to know if he could trust the Gibeonites. When they discovered that God wanted him to get rid of some neighboring nations (Josh. 9:24), they pretended to be from a faraway land. They arrived in worn-out tunics and patched sandals, claiming, “Our garments and our sandals have become old because of the very long journey” (v.13). The Israelites were suspicious (v.7), but they “did not ask counsel of the Lord” (v.14); and Joshua unwisely made a peace treaty with the deceivers.
Many want to gain our trust: salespeople, financial advisors, or estranged family members. If we wonder: “Can I trust you?” we shouldn’t decide quickly, based only on what seems right to us. It’s better to seek counsel from God’s Word (Ps. 119:105), godly people (Prov. 11:14), and God Himself (James 1:5). Wisdom from above will help us decide who to trust. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Protect us from deceivers, Lord,
Who lie and plot to take
Advantage of us and confuse
Decisions we must make. —Sper
A desire for discernment is God’s call to prayer.
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- God is sovereign (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Pride (extendedhands.wordpress.com)
- Planning to retire? Is It In Accordance to God’s Plan For Your Life? (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Joshua 9 (asorensen.wordpress.com)
- Meditate On God’s Word (ptl2010.com)
- Our Plan Or God’s? (samuelatgilgal.wordpress.com)
- Remembering the Works of the Lord (jesusyouthtcr.wordpress.com)
- A Time to Wait in Prayer (pttyann2.wordpress.com)
- SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY, 3/21/2012 – Something about COURAGE (blogginghounds.wordpress.com)
- As For Me and My House (eucharisteoministries.wordpress.com)