If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Read: Matthew 8:18-23
After the Lord Jesus Christ instructed the multitude that they should go to the other side, only the disciples obeyed. The rest of the people went their way. A particular learned man met Him and offered to follow Jesus where he went. The Lord was happy to hear this but quickly told him that following Him was sacrificial.
And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head (Matthew 8:20).
The Lord made him realise that in the course of following Him, he will go through situations of discomfort and self denial. But the man loved his bed too much! He could not go through any inconvenience for the sake of the Gospel. That was the last time we heard of him. Even till this day, convenience is what is coming between God and some of His children. But I really wonder where we learnt that from, obviously not from God! John 3:16 says when God was to sow for man’s redemption, it was His best He gave. How come those who have been washed in the blood cannot make a little sacrifice for the Lord? If you are wise, you will bridge the gap between God’s sacrificial gift and your gifts every time you have the opportunity of giving something to Him or doing something for Him.
Another person – this time a disciple of Jesus came to Him, promising to follow the Lord after he had first buried his father (Matthew 8:21-22). It is possible he was the first born male in that family so a lot was expected from him. But the Lord’s reply could only have shocked him too. Jesus was not saying he shouldn’t bury his father. The burial was good but following the Lord was more important. The dead is already dead and burying the corpse could not bring back life, but following Jesus could both assure him of physical and eternal life. The burial was okay but following the Lord was urgent. You should not engage in ceremonies at the expense of following Christ. Also, whenever there is a clash of both, as a true disciple, you must be prepared to make Christ first, not last as this man offered. It also means that you must appreciate the need to follow the Lord above all other earthly consideration. Do you?
To be His disciple, your priorities must be right with Christ at the top.
- When you follow Christ, it is what you seek you will get (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- There is a friend that sticks closer than a brother, and His Name is Jesus Christ (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- How often do you remember what Jesus did for you (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- We are all one in Christ Jesus (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Believe In The Name of Jesus Christ (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- The Leper and Our Lord And Saviour Jesus Christ (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Sacrificial Love (stevensawyer.wordpress.com)
- Scriptures to celebrate Resurrection Sunday (firstbaptistredoak.wordpress.com)
- Discipleship #SYMC 2012 (six11.wordpress.com)
- Discipleship (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- Kingdom of God 3 (ptl2010.com)
- Gospel Driven Discipleship – Go on the Ride for your Life! (mudpreacher.org)
- Foundation of Discipleship 5 of 9 (bound4grace.wordpress.com)