You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
Why did God give a command against making a form of things in the heavens above or the earth below?
It is because needing a physical form to bow down to and worship diminishes faith, even if that physical form is an attempt to represent God Himself. The need for the physical is of the flesh, but we are to live and know God in the Spirit.
Romans 8:13 teaches, “By the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body.” Our “religious” behaviour can take our church buildings, our list of “ministries” and accomplishments and put them in place of a relationship with God.
God’s primary commandment is that we love Him! Even in this commandment He is calling upon us to love Him, and in return He promises to love us to a thousand generations.
Have you forgotten God today in favour of the physical forms of worship? Don’t get stuck on earthly things just because you can see them. Today, I challenge you to just spend some time with Him in quiet, putting aside all outward forms of worship and prayer. Allow Him to work within you during this time.
- God is Spirit and those who worship Him must worship in Spirit and truth (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- God is spirit and they that worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in truth (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- God can use you too (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Setting Our Sights On Heaven by Paul D. Wolfe (haroldcameron.wordpress.com)
- Pray through God’s Story (Week 10) (pastorderick.com)
- A Day to Remember (sabbathsermons.com)
- Friday: March 9 (prayerscapes.wordpress.com)
- Distance in fear or closeness in Worship. (askgodnow.wordpress.com)
- Salvation begins now (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- How Serious Are You About His Ways? (foundationsintorah.wordpress.com)
- Leadership lessons for Moses (garrettventry.wordpress.com)