When you follow Christ, it is what you seek you will get
In today’s reading, our Lord Jesus Christ was thronged round about by a crowd as was their custom. We can learn some salient truths from this account. First, many people have different reasons for following the Lord, most of which are selfish. He directly confronted some of such seekers:
Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled (John 6:26)
They were part of the five thousand who were fed with five barley loaves and two fishes. They were not thrilled by the miracle, but by the fact that they came hungry and He gave them food to eat. To say the least, the Lord was disappointed. Why are you seeking the Lord? If it is just for food, you are not better than these people and what the Lord said to them, he is saying to you:
When you seek God, seek Him not just for carnal blessings, but especially for spiritual blessings. Seek to know Him. Seek to hear His Voice distinctly. Seek to have Him fill your life. Seek to see more of His power operating through you. Seek to carry more of His presence. Why do you seek Him?
Moreover, after the crowd gathered, the Lord ordered them to go to the other side. For many of them, that was the end of their following Christ at least for that moment. Majority of the crowd went home. They were not prepared to pay any price. Only the disciples followed Him(Matthew 8:23). Certain instructions of God are given to sift between believers and disciples. If you are not prepared to pay a price for your love or service of God, you can never be His disciple. One mark of Christ’s disciples is that they follow Him. They hear His Voice and immediately gear their lives in that direction. Are you follower of Jesus Christ? To what extent do you fellow his instructions? If you will serve God at your convenience, you cannot be His disciple.
When you follow Christ, it is what you seek you will get. Many who follow Him end up with mundane things and not Christ because He was never their focus.
- Believe In The Name of Jesus Christ (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Make Disciples of All Nations: March 2012 Credo Magazine (owenstrachan.com)
- The Leper and Our Lord And Saviour Jesus Christ (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Absolved Only Through the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ (samuelatgilgal.wordpress.com)
- Evidences for the Resurrection (slideshare.net)
- How not to rush your children to recite the “sinner’s prayer”. (atwistedcrownofthorns.com)
- Why Can Followers of Jesus Rejoice in Suffering? (craigsturm.wordpress.com)
- A Lenten Journal: A Pursuit of the Doctrine of Christ (Third Wednesday) (stsimonsorder.wordpress.com)