Give Choices, Give Limits
by Bishop Keith A. Butler
Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with
the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and
shalt deliver his soul from hell.
Children need a healthy balance of choices made within a few important
boundaries, but parents must be strong on both sides of the equation.
Parents must give children choices, and give children limits. If all
you give them are choices, they will spend the rest of their lives pressing against authority in all of its forms, seeking the limits they
instinctively know are there.
The younger the child, the greater the limits. As the child grows, the
more choices you give him or her while still maintaining God‘s
standards in your home until that child is able to make Word-informed
choices on their own before God. Parents, if anyone lives in your house
and is unwilling to follow the rules you establish for your household,
they have to go. Let them set up their own house, whether they are
sixteen or sixty-six.
The Holy Spirit helps us grow into maturity by encouraging us to make
choices freely according to the truths in God’s Word and the voice of
the Spirit within our hearts. God always preserves our power of choice,
and He delights when we willingly lay down our freedom in order to draw
close to Him as our Father, just as lovers willingly lay down their
freedom in order to commit to one another in marriage.
Thank you for life! Thank you for your Word! You are worthy of praise
and honor for loving the world enough to give us both freedom and
limits. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Think on These Things
* Proverbs 19:18
* Proverbs 28:15
- God’s Wise Rules (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- The Wages of Sin. Death! (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- The One Choice That Led to Death (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Our confessions create realities (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- God is more than able to give you what you need and more. He is able to make you rich! (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- There is a Miracle in Your Mouth by John Osteen (scribecorner.wordpress.com)
- .. Today’s Prayer (psychocrab15.wordpress.com)
- What Jesus Teaches Us About the Heart – -mark 7:6-23 (verticalviewer.wordpress.com)
- The power of choice has a good side and a bad side to it (bummyla.wordpress.com)