THIS THING CALLED DATING
By Tomide (A Guest Writer)
“Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit Who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s” (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)
What is dating? I’m sure that’s a pretty easy question for us to answer. Although the dictionary gives us a somewhat different meaning, when we say two people are dating, we simply mean that they are romantically involved with each other and are possibly having a physical relationship with each other. Now, we Christians substitute the word “dating” with “courting”, but what we don’t know is that if we do not get our principles right, if we do not apply the “rules” of relationship that God has set down for us in His Word, then the two words are only different in the ways they are spelt and pronounced, nothing else.
One reason why we date is because we want to enjoy the emotional and physical benefits of intimacy without the responsibility of real commitment. I read a book once and one thing the author said really stuck. He said “Dating makes you want what you can’t (shouldn’t) have.” It doesn’t just make us want to have sex, it makes us want to kiss, touch and be touched sensually and invoke feelings that are better left concealed while we are still unmarried.
This is a call for us to be different. It is a call for us to take a daring attitude towards the dating game. It is a call for us to totally serve and honour God with our bodies and purified minds while we are single. It is a call to let go of ‘unfruitful’ relationships and allow God bring our partners our way at the right time. It is a call for us to say “game over”.
For a very long time, I had an aversion towards “Relationships”. I couldn’t explain why but I just didn’t want to be involved in the whole dating game. While some of my age mates (and even people younger than me) were already boasting of numerous boyfriends, I could only boast of none – zero! I got called different names from “weird” to “lesbian” (by the way, I’m perfectly straight) all because I refused to join the game. So yes, we will be called names, we might feel odd in the midst of people with different opinions but let’s choose to stand for Christ and serve Him with all our might while we are single and not distracted.
It’s time for us to stand up and be the “Holy Nation” that God has called us to be!
May Our God The Almighty prosper Nigeria and Israel and defend us from all our enemies in Jesus Christ Name, Amen!
- Do Not Be Conformed to This World But Be Transformed by the Renewing of Your Mind (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Be Conscious of Who You Are in Christ Jesus (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- We Are Complete in Christ Jesus (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- We Are Kings and Priests (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Walking With God (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Put on the Whole Armour of God (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Knowledge Is Power (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- The Facts About Sexual Immorality (pastorpaulvbsblog.blogspot.com)
- Week 1 Notes (ammih.wordpress.com)
- Inward Witness: Scripture is Authenticated by The Holy Spirit (kevinnunez.org)
- Stand Fast In The Liberty Of Jesus (prhayz.wordpress.com)
- This Thing Called Dating (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Invoking God’s mercy (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- We are Created for God’s Worship (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Invading the Devil’s Territory (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- God Can Use You (bummyla.wordpress.com)