Discipline and the Child
By Deaconess Dolapo Layode
The word “discipline” refers to training which is both instructive and corrective. The word of God shows us very clearly that training is targeted towards achieving preset goals and objectives. Proverbs 22:6 tells us “Train up a child in the way He should go”. The expected outcome of any training exercise must be clear from the onset.
The responsibility for having a clear understanding of the expected results of training and discipline lies primarily with the parents. As Christian parents, it’s important to realize that it is your responsibility to raise godly children who will grow in the ways of the kingdom. The Word of God speaks expressly of the uniqueness and peculiarities of the Christian. (1 Peter 2: 9) Child training and discipline therefore should have one primary objective; the growth and development of a child in the way of the word of God.
The Lord Jesus speaking to us in John 15: 19 tells us “…..we are not of this world”, but we live in this world, thus we are exposed to the influences of the world. The influences include the senses and the wisdom of this world therefore as Christian parents, we have the responsibility of guiding our children to look away from the society and look unto the way of God’s Word.
Children Must Know the Word of God
Children in their earlier years learn more by observation and mimicking rather than from instructions given to them. As parents, our lives and lifestyles have the primary influence on the lives of our kids. Our children learn more from our actions than from our words, our lives are the first point of contact they have with the kingdom of God.
Throughout the scriptures, we will observe that God always instructed His people to plan their lives around the house of God. The same applies to us today. In training our kids, we must show them that we hold the word of God in ultimate regard. We should do the word of God in all things and at all times.
Our Convictions Must be Clear
Our convictions and belief system must be clear in the minds of our children; we must communicate these to them very early in their lives. They must know that we are non-conformist to this world and its ways of doing things (Romans 12:1-2). They must know that majority is not always right and that because an idea is widely accepted does not make it right; rather they ought to live their lives in the light of God’s Word. This is very important as our kids begin to interact with the world in school where they are confronted with negative talking, wrong music, and wrong books etc. As Christian parents we should be non-apologetic about what we believe and be dogged in raising our kids to live the Christ– life in its fullness here on earth, applying corrective measures (punishment) to ensure that our children are set on the path they must follow.
Training your child in the way of our kingdom is the best gift any parent can give a child and God has given you the ability to do this. He depends on you to raise godly kids that will hurl back the kingdom of darkness and cause the knowledge of the glory of God to cover the earth as the waters cover the seas.
- What Mean Ye By This Sevice? (answersfromthebook.org)
- Brainwashed? (fbcalumni.wordpress.com)
- China and the Great Commission (gofishministries.wordpress.com)
- Dim Sum – Watch it! The Lord cares(1b) (ptl2010.wordpress.com)
- Message: “Change Your Minds”, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Kingston, Ontario, CANADA (religare72.wordpress.com)
- Tips on becoming a great nanny! (diamondnannies.wordpress.com)
- 10 questions to ask to make sure you are in the right church (part 2) (thecoramdeoblog.wordpress.com)
- General Conference Challenge, Day 29- September 26: What Manner of Men and Women Ought Ye to Be? (myfavoritetalks.wordpress.com)
- Why Does Family Worship Matter To God? (heritagebooktalk.org)
- The Rescue (a PINK Tuesday post) (pinkshoesministries.wordpress.com)
- Ten practices of effective discipline with your adolescent (psychologytoday.com)
- Where in scripture can you find a discipline person (wiki.answers.com)
- Celebration of Discipline (1) (johnreads.wordpress.com)
- What Parents Really Need from Us (ministerioinfantilusa.com)
- How To Discipline Your Children (risingdano.wordpress.com)
- A Celebration of Discipline (1) (johnreads.wordpress.com)
- Discipline and the Child (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Revivalists Becoming Fathers (raymondjclements.wordpress.com)
- Train Up a Child in the Way He Should Go (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Our Good and God’s Glory (goldenbible.wordpress.com)
- How Can I Be Joyful When God Disciplines Me? by Mark D. Roberts (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- Parenting – Is Discipline Something of Great Importance? (jimf.wordpress.com)
- Parenting – Is Discipline Something of Great Importance? (j4man.wordpress.com)
- Organizing the Inside – Day 80 Are You Living Amongst The Thorns? (lizmason.wordpress.com)
- Christian Child Beaters (bullshitfighter.wordpress.com)
- Did she say spank? (cleavingtochristhomeschool.wordpress.com)