Forgiveness: An Act Of Obedience
Forgiveness begins by recognizing evil in all of its horror. We can forgive without denying the reality of the evil and hurt we suffered at another’s hand. We can also forgive those who hurt us without condoning or excusing the offender’s hurtful act. Forgiveness doesn’t brush aside the hurt, nor dismiss it. We must choose to forgive anyone who wrongs us. Our forgiveness is not predicated on our understanding why the offender hurt us. We may never understand the cruel actions of people like Hitler, the Ku Klux Klan, or the Boko Haram, but we can still choose to forgive them.
Feelings have nothing to do with the willful choice we make to forgive others. Surely the Apostle Paul didn’t “feel” like forgiving when his offenders stoned him, tried to kill him and threw him into prison. Even in his pain, he could write: “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you” (Ephesians 4:32, NIV). And we can forgive our offenders no matter how horrible the crime against us.
Lord, we know that we have received Your forgiveness through Christ’s death, even when we could never deserve it. Help us to remember Jesus’ example so that we can be set free by forgiving others. We pray in Jesus Christ Name! Amen!
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- Why We Must Forgive (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Be Your Brother’s Keeper (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Give Your Life Away (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- What, Why, and How to Forgive, part one (myvictimimpactstatement.com)
- Amazing grace even on your worst day (propheticseasons.wordpress.com)
- Forgiveness Is Not A Feeling But An Action (strengthrenewed.wordpress.com)
- Jesus Christ still does healing miracles (propheticseasons.wordpress.com)
- Forgiveness (debisrandomthoughts.com)